Before applying to the BHPC program, you must first apply to the master’s or doctoral program in your prospective home unit at the University of Toronto. All BHPC students must be simultaneously enrolled in a graduate program in one of our participating units, listed here. (Students in two-year Master’s programs, such as the Master of Museum Studies and Master of Information programs, can apply to take BHPC in their second year.) Once you have accepted your offer of admission to your home program, you may then apply to the BHPC program by sending the application materials (listed below) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, May 16, 2023. (BHPC may be able to consider late applications; please contact our Program Coordinator at the address above to inquire.)
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact the Program Coordinator (at the address above) with questions.
Applications must consist of two parts submitted as a single PDF:
- A personal statement (maximum 2 pages single-spaced). A successful statement will:
- identify your degree program (and whether you have accepted an offer of admission at the time of your BHPC application);
- describe your academic background and interests, as well as your experiences with book history and/or adjacent fields as academic subjects, as well as any related non-academic experience with books and related materials (prior experience with book history is an asset but not a requirement, and BHPC welcomes students who are new to the subject);
- outline how the BHPC program would benefit your studies, and what you hope to gain from your experience in the program.
- Copies of all post-secondary academic transcripts. Non-official transcripts are accepted, and for University of Toronto students, a ROSI/ACORN printout will suffice.
Receipt of all application materials will be acknowledged promptly by email; if you do not receive acknowledgment by email, please contact email@example.com. If there is space in the program, applications from students from other units may be considered; they should consult the graduate coordinator in their home unit and the BHPC Program Coordinator at the address above. The Program Committee will consider your statement and transcript(s) together in making its decisions, which will be communicated via email by the end of May.